Welcome to the 252nd edition of Android Apps Weekly! Here are the big headlines from the last week:
- The team sat down and talked about a bunch of apps they use this week. We tried to talk about apps that don’t get the most press. Some of them include Tiny Scanner, Transit, Achievement, Maps Measure, Out of Milk, Tea Cup, and several others. It was a good time seeing what apps we at Android Authority use on a daily basis. Hit the link to see the full list of apps and honorable mentions!
- Timehop had a little bit of a bad week. The social history app had 21 million accounts compromised during a recent data breach. The compromised data included names, email addresses, and phone numbers. They fixed the breach and everything is okay now. However, the app is recommending that people change their passwords as soon as possible. It’s a pretty serious data breach. We also recommend you check your Timehop account to make sure everything is okay.
- It’s Always Sunny In Philadelpha is getting its own mobile game soon. It won’t be much different from other TV show mobile games. It will likely include freemium mechanics, many funny and enjoyable moments from the show, a bunch of cameos from favorite side characters, and more. The game should launch sometime in 2018. We don’t quite know when exactly, though. You can register for the game on the official website if you want to.
- Google Duo may get a rewards program soon. A recent APK teardown revealed the code this last week. Basically, Google wants to bribe people into getting other people to use Duo. It’s a referra Unfortunately, we think it’ll take more than that to get people onto Google’s messaging apps these days. The referral rewards code may or may not be permanent. We would take this with a grain of salt until Google announces something.
- Fortnite may have a release date now! The long awaited battle royale shooter is months behind its main rival, PUGB. A tweet from Tencent Games shows a date of July 24th and a message that Fortnite is coming. The game should either launch on that date or they announce the for real launch date. Either way, we’re excited. We have no doubt that Fortnite is a hit in the making. It and PUBG Mobile should make our best games of 2018 list. We’ll know more on July 24th.
Facter is a new puzzle game with psychological thriller elements. Honestly, it looks a little bit like Monument Valley if it were a scary game. The game features a variety of puzzles, simple graphics, a black-and-white style similar to Limbo, and more. We didn’t have any issues when we played the game. However, there are some that have panned the game’s control scheme. It runs for $3.99 with no in-app purchases or ads. We do recommend trying it inside of the refund time in case you don’t like the controls.
Moment is a new camera app kind of. It’s really a port of a popular iOS camera app. The app includes the essentials such as full manual mode, RAW support, a live histogram, various leveling modes, EXIF metadata support, and more. It is missing a few things, though. You can’t take video with this app just yet and it’s missing a few features from iOS. There are also a few bugs. It’s a new release, so we don’t judge it too harshly. It runs for $1.99 with no in-app purchases or ads right now. We do hope the developer improves this one over time.
The Walking Dead: Our World officially launched this week. It’s the latest game to take advantage of the AR craze. You walk around the real world. The goal is to kill zombies, explore the world, collect stuff, and engage in weekly challenges with other players. It plays a lot like Pokemon Go and Jurassic World Alive. That means you have to actually get off the couch and go do this stuff. There are a few bugs and connection issues. However, that’s rather expected with a new game with this much dependence on an Internet connection. It’s also a freemium game just like the others.
Carrot Weather is a new weather app, obviously. This one includes a range of features such as daily weather, current temperatures, hourly forecasts, and some other stuff. The premium version gets a widget and a time travel feature. It lets you view weather up to 70 years in the past. It also posts witticisms for comedic effect. The premium club is a subscription. We highly recommend the $3.99 per year if you go pro. It saves you like 66% off of the price of the monthly subscription. We also prefer yearly subscriptions in weather apps to monthly ones.
Nyjah Huston: #SkateLife has the worst name of any app or game ever made. Thankfully, it’s a decent skateboarding game on a platform where that isn’t normal. The game features decent graphics, plenty of tricks, community competitions, and more. There is also a card collecting mechanic for getting and upgrading tricks. This is easily among the best ten skateboarding games on mobile, if not the top five. It’s a freemium game, though, so prepare yourself for that.
If we missed any big Android apps or games news, updates, or launches, tell us about them in the comments! Check back next week for more!