Welcome to the 261st edition of Android Apps Weekly! Here are the big headlines from last week:
- It turns out that a lot of our readers listen to podcasts. However, your favorite podcast app is actually fairly difficult to track down. We polled our audience on three platforms and got different answers on all of them. Google Podcasts was consistently popular as was Pocket Casts and, to a lesser extent, SoundCloud. However, answers were simply all over the place. That’s nice to see because the podcast market is booming right now and it’s great to see so many different apps work so well. Hit the link to see the poll results for yourself.
- Disney shut down Star Wars: Rivals before its actual launch this week. The game was going to be the next in a long line of freemium Star Wars games. It saw some press in early 2018 upon its announcement. The beta came later. It apparently didn’t go very well. There isn’t much more to tell, really. The reactions to the game were decidedly negative, even for a freemium game in 2018. However, there were likely other reasons aside from that. Plenty of freemium games get negative reviews and then go on to make millions of dollars, after all.
- Daybreak Game Company announced a couple of new mobile games this week. They are ports of popular PC and console games. The first was EverQuest, an iconic game in the MMORPG genre. The other is H1Z1, one of the games that popularized the battle royale genre currently dominated by Fortnite and PUBG. The press release didn’t mention anything about a release date so we don’t know that right now. However, these are two big names that should make quite the splash when they arrive.
- Square Enix has a hit on their hands with their Life is Strange mobile launch. They plan on continuing the moment with another one. Life is Strange: Before the Storm is coming to mobile on September 19th. It’s a prequel to the original series and focuses on the relationship between protagonist Chloe and Rachel Amber. It should share similar graphics, game mechanics, and style from the main game. There are three episodes in this game. We don’t know much else about the release like its cost. However, we can’t imagine it’s going to cost more than the main game.
- Google is shutting down Inbox by Gmail in March 2019. The popular and unique email client started as an experiment for new features, new email delivery styles, and more. However, most of its features are now in the Gmail app and that’s where Google wants to focus its energy. On the one hand, a lot of people liked Inbox a lot. On the other, Google is finally starting to narrow down the number of messaging apps they support. We hope this attitude continues to their other properties as well. Rest in peace, Inbox. We will miss you.
If we missed any big Android apps or games news, updates, or launches, tell us about them in the comments! Also, check out the Android Authority Podcast!